Return to TabletKiosk.com Home page

Support Forums

TabletKiosk® Recommends Microsoft® Windows® 7

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Getting into the Bios

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
iam bennu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iam bennu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting into the Bios
    Posted: 03/07/08 at 12:30pm

I want to do some tweaking in the bios but have not found the right key to get in. It does not seem to be the "Delete" or "F11" keys. How to you access it?

Thanks for you time and knowledge,

iam
iam bennu
http://iamARTevolutions.net
TK_Dan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TK_Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/08 at 12:35pm
When the Sahara Slate PC first boots up, as soon as you see the logo screen press the "Rotate Screen" key to the left of the LCD display. That will take you into the BIOS.

If you have an i412T or i440T, you will need a USB keyboard attached to the system to navigate the BIOS. If you have an i440D, make sure it is in digitizer mode before you start up and you can navigate the BIOS with the pen.

Edited by TK_Dan - 03/07/08 at 12:39pm
---
Daniel Levy
TabletKiosk
"Mobility Matters"
iam bennu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iam bennu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/08 at 3:22pm
Thank you Daniel that worked great!

Nothing to tweak in there, thought. I am used to a PC Bios with things to overclock for better performance. I am getting a dock and adding a monitor and peripherals and I wanted to get the most power from it that I could. I would love to use it as my desktop but with Outlook and photoshop my business mainstays, I think I need a bit more power.  I just thought a little boost might help. 

Anyway to supercharge this model?

Thanks again,

iam

Edited by iam bennu - 03/07/08 at 3:25pm
iam bennu
iam bennu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iam bennu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/08 at 7:24pm

PS.  It it possible to load the 64 bit version of Vista on this tablet?

iam bennu
TK_Dan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TK_Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/08 at 11:18am
Originally posted by iam bennu iam bennu wrote:

PS.  It it possible to load the 64 bit version of Vista on this tablet?

No, not on the first revision i440s as the Core Duo processor is only 32-bits. You should be able to on the new revision machines with the Core 2 Duo processors that will begin shipping in volume at the end of the month. That said, I see absolutely no reason why you would want to. There is no inherent advantage to running the 64-bit version of Windows on these tablets for a number of different reasons.
  1. The major advantage to running a 64-bit OS is the ability to utilize more memory. You can't install enough RAM in these Tablets (or any other brand or model of Tablet PC or most any laptop for that matter) to take advantage of this feature. As most benchmarks have shown, you need at least 8 GB of RAM to see any tangible, real-life benefit.
  2. Not enough application support. Almost nothing is written specifically for 64-bits yet, except some math and CAD/3D applications and Tablet PCs aren't geared to running those apps anyway.
  3. Poor driver support. Many peripherals still don't run reliably (if at all) in 64-bit Vista. Many even cause the OS to become unstable.
  4. Even poorer performance than 32-bit Vista. Theoretically, it should be faster, but many reliable third party organizations have shown repeatedly that pretty much nothing runs faster in 64-bit Vista than in 32-bit Vista (again with the possible exception of some math and CAD apps and even then mostly only when rendering).
  5. Stability issues. At least for now, 64-bit Vista is not as stable as 32-bit Vista. Even when running Vista with SP1.
With all the above in mind, for now, we will not be selling the Sahara Slate PCs with 64-bit Vista, nor will we be supporting it if you plan to upgrade to it yourself. Of course we will be monitoring the progress of 64-bit Vista (since many of us are tech geeks our selves here at TK) and will reevaluate the decision in the future.

Personally, I'm waiting before jumping on the Windows 64-bit bandwagon, and I have been chomping at the bit for a few years now for 64-bit computing to be a viable reality. As I have grown more towards being productive as I get older as opposed to being cutting edge, I feel we need to wait a bit longer... at least on the Windows platform.
---
Daniel Levy
TabletKiosk
"Mobility Matters"
iam bennu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iam bennu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/08 at 7:59pm
Thank you Daniel,

Well said, and I agree. I have been using 64 bit Vista on my Multimedia PC and can see the difference in speed, and am just loading int on what was my main stystem and got great results but for network adapter drivers.  I have been waiting to move to 64 bit computing for a while now also.  

What you all have put together works so well, I will send it back for any upgrades unless it is minor. I am loving using the Sahara Slate as my main system.  I have been using it for about two days and it iwll work. I am waiting for the Docking Station I ordered and it will be on. To be working on a fully functional pc setup and then just undock the Tablet and go is a dream. 

Thanks for the feedback and I look forward to following your comments as we all move forward together in computing,

iam bennu
iamARTevolutions.net
iam bennu
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic